Loses Two Graduates from the Class of 2009
I had to work last Saturday night and when I came to my exit in Hoover,
the Day's Inn was awash in blue and red flashing lights. I inched by
and said a silent prayer that no one was hurt.
It wasn't until the next day that I first heard about the deaths of Alondan
Turner and Cathrene Ann Muse on Facebook from my friend Don Fewell. He
had heard they died in the fire at Day's Inn in Hoover.
I could tell by the note that he was in shock. He knew both girls from
his work as a photographer.
I later learned that both girls graduated from Dora High back in May
and my heart sank. I did not know either of the girls personally but
taking pictures at football games, I saw the girls often.
Both girls enrolled at Mississippi State and had come home to go shopping
with two other friends, which is why they were at Day's Inn in Hoover.
The papers are saying an immigrant from India who lived in a ground floor
room below the girls was burning incense as a part of a religious ceremony.
He left the room for about thirty minutes and when he returned, the building
was in flames.
The girls dialed 911, but the building, which was built in the sixties
before state fire code required fire sprinklers, was engulfed in flames,
trapping the girls on the second floor.
It is always difficult to report the loss of any graduate from Dora High,
but when we lose two young people with so much promise; so much life
yet to live, it is truly heartbreaking.
Please keep the family of these young women in your thoughts and prayers.
Catherine Ann Muse |